- 30.3 MPCMOS Sensor
- 8 fpsContinuous Shooting
- 100-40,000Expandable to 50-102,400
- 4K 3840 x 2160: 29.97fps/24.00fps/23.98fps
- Dual Pixel CMOS AFAutofocus
- 8-bit Canon LogHDMI Output
- Tilting Touchscreen
- 660 g (1.46 lbs)Weight
- 135.8 x 98.3 x 84.4 mm (5.35 x 3.87 x 3.32″)Dimensions
Reimagine Optical Excellence
Meet Canon’s new addition to the EOS System, the EOS R camera. It packs a range of advanced features from a full-frame, 30.3 Megapixel CMOS sensor that captures gorgeous images, to a Dual Pixel CMOS AF system for fast and accurate autofocus, to impressive 4K video recording capabilities. All this comes in a compact and intuitive design that’s compatible with RF, EF and EF-S lenses, opening a world of creative possibilities.
- Compatible with EF/EF-S Lenses
- 54mm Large Diameter and Short Back Focus
- 20mm Flange Focal Distance with Robustness for Professional Use
- 12 Pins for Quickly Communicating Large Amounts of Information
- Variety of Mount Adapter Options for Expanded Compatibility with EF/EF-S Lenses
- 30.3 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor & DIGIC 8 Image Processor.
- ISO 40000
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with 5,655 Manually Selectable AF Points.
- High-speed Focusing in 0.05 sec.
- AF Area Coverage of Approx. 88% x 100%
Type Digital single-lens non-reflex AF/AE camera Recording Media SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
- SD card speed class-compatible.
- UHS-I and II supported.
- Use of UHS-II microSDHC/SDXC cards with a microSD to SD adapter is not recommended. When using UHS-II supported cards, use SDHC/SDXC cards compatible with UHS-II.
- Eye-Fi cards not supported.
Multimedia cards (MMC) cannot be used.
Image Format Approx. 36 x 24mm Compatible Lenses Canon RF lens group (excluding EF, EF-S and EF-M lenses)
When using Mount Adapter EF-EOS R: Canon EF or EF-S lenses (excluding EF-M lenses)
Lens Mount Canon RF mount
Type CMOS sensor (compatible with Dual Pixel CMOS AF) Effective pixels Approx. 30.3 Megapixels Pixel Unit Approx. 5.36 µm square Total Pixels Approx. 31.7 megapixels Aspect Ratio 3:2 (Horizontal:Vertical) Color Filter System RGB primary color filters Low Pass Filter Installed in front of the image sensor, non-detachable Dust Deletion Feature Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
- Removes dust adhering to the low-pass filter.
- At power off only / Enable / Disable. Performed automatically (taking about 3.0 sec. as indicated on the screen) or manually (taking about 9.0 sec. as indicated on the screen).
- After manually activated cleaning, the camera will automatically restart (Power OFF to ON).
- When [Multi Shot Noise Reduction], [Multiple exposures], or [HDR mode] is set, [Clean now] and [Clean manually] cannot be selected.
Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
- The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
- The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots.
- Not available with EF-S lenses, in cropped shooting or when distortion correction is applied.
Manual cleaning (by hand)
Recording Format EXIF 2.3 (DCF2.0) File Size 3:2 Aspect Ratio
Large/RAW/C-RAW: 6720 x 4480
Medium: 4464 x 2976
Small 1: 3360 x 2240
Small 2: 2400 x 1600
Large/RAW/C-RAW: 4176 x 2784
Small 2: 2400 x 1600
4:3 Aspect Ratio
Large/RAW/C-RAW: 5952 x 4480*
Medium: 3968 x 2976
Small 1: 2976 x 2240*
Small 2: 2112 x 1600*
16:9 Aspect Ratio*
Large/RAW/C-RAW: 6720 x 3776
Medium: 4464 x 2512
Small 1: 3360 x 1888
Small 2: 2400 x 1344
1:1 Aspect Ratio
Large/RAW/C-RAW: 4480 x 4480
Medium: 2976 x 2976
Small 1: 2240 x 2240
Small 2: 1600 x 1600
- Values for Recording Pixels are rounded to the nearest 100,000 or 10,000.
- For RAW and JPEG images, information outside the cropping area is not retained.
- JPEG images are generated in the set aspect ratio.
- RAW images are generated in [3:2], and the set aspect ratio is appended.
* Indicate an inexact proportion.File Numbering
The following file numbers can be set:
File numbering methods
Continuous numberingThe numbering of captured images continues even after you replace the card.
When you replace the card, the numbering will be reset to start from 0001. If the new SD card already contains images, the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording
Color SpaceSelectable between sRGB and Adobe RGBPicture StyleAuto
User Defined 1-3
- In Scene Intelligent Auto, [Auto] will be set automatically.
- [Standard] is the default setting for [User Def. 1-3].
- Day Light
- Tungsten light
- White fluorescent light
- Custom (Custom WB)
- Color temperature
* Effective also in twilight and sunset.
- Auto White BalanceOption between ambience priority and white priority settings.Color Temperature CompensationBlue/amber bias: ±9 levels
- Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
- Corrected in reference to the current WB mode’s color temperature.
- OLED color electronic viewfinderCoverageApprox. 100% vertically and horizontally relative to the shooting image area (with image quality L, at approx. 23mm eyepoint).
- At approx. 23mm eyepointMagnificationApprox. 0.76 (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m-1)Eye PointApprox. 23mm (at -1 m-1 from the eyepiece lens end)Viewfinder InformationAF point information
- Number of remaining multiple exposures
- HDR shooting
- Multiple-exposure shooting
- Dual Pixel RAW shooting
- Multi Shot Noise Reduction
- Digital Lens Optimizer
- AF method
- AF operation
- Drive mode
- Metering mode
- Anti-flicker shooting
- Shooting mode
- Scene icons
- AE lock
- Flash off
- FE lock
- High-speed sync
- Shutter speed
- Multi-function lock warning
- Lens information
- Exposure level indicator
- Exposure compensation
- Highlight tone priority
- ISO speed
- Possible shots
- Number of self-timer shooting
- Maximum burst
- Battery level
- Exposure simulation
- Still photo cropping
- Aspect ratio
- Auto Lighting Optimizer
- Picture Style
- White balance
- White balance correction
- Image Quality
- Bluetooth® function
- Wi-Fi® function
- Electronic level
- TypePhase-difference detection system with image sensor (Dual Pixel CMOS AF)AF PointsMax. 5,655
- When selected with cross keys.AF Working RangeEV -6 to 18 (f/1.2, at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100, One-Shot AF)Focusing ModesOne-Shot AF
- Servo AF
- Manual (Manual focus)AF Point SelectionAF Point Selection and AF OperationAF Assist BeamEnable
- LED AF assist beam only
* Focus range with the AF-assist beam is generally no more than 13.1 ft. / 4m (at f/5.6).
- Metering ModesEvaluative metering (AF point-linked)
- Partial metering (approx. 6.1% of the area at the center of the screen)
- Spot metering (approx. 2.7% of the area at the center of the screen)
AF point-linked spot metering not provided.
- Center-weighted average meteringMetering RangeEV -3 – 20 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)Exposure Control SystemsScene Intelligent Auto
- Flexible-priority AE
- Program AE (shiftable)
- Shutter-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
- Aperture-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
- Manual exposure
- Custom shooting mode C1, C2, C3ISO Speed Range
ISO 10040000 (in 1/3-stop or whole-stop increments)
L: equivalent to ISO 50, H1: 51200, H2: 102400
- For [Highlight tone priority], the minimum ISO speed limit will be ISO 200 to 40000.
- ISO speed safety shift possible with Custom Function.
- All the expanded ISO speeds including those for movies are only “equivalent speeds.”
Scene Intelligent Auto
No Flash – ISO 100-12800
With Flash – ISO 100-1600
No Flash – ISO 100-40000*1
With Flash – ISO 100-1600*1
No Flash – ISO 400 fixed
With Flash – ISO 400 fixed
*1 Depending on [Minimum] and [Maximum] of [ISO speed settings] or [Range for stills].
- Exposure CompensationYesAE Lock
Auto AE lock
- The metering mode for AE lock after focus can be customized.
Manual AE lock
- In the Fv, P, Tv, Av and M modes, enabled with the AE lock button. (Press again to update.)
- Enabled in all metering modes.
Electronically controlled focal-plane shutter
- Electronic first curtain, mechanical second curtain
- Electronic shutter (slit rolling read out)
- Mechanical first and second curtainShutter Speeds1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb (total range of all shooting modes)Shutter ReleaseSoft-touch electromagnetic releaseSelf Timer10-sec. delay, 2-sec. delayShutter Lag TimeShutter Lag Time
- Flash Metering SystemE-TTL II autoflashFlash Exposure Compensation±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop incrementsFE LockProvidedExternal Flash SettingsThe camera can set the following with EX series Speedlites:
External flash control
- Flash firing, E-TTL II Flash metering, Slow synchro, Safety FE, Flash mode, Wireless function, Flash zoom, Shutter synchronization and Flash exposure compensation
Flash Custom Function setting
- The setting options for both (1) and (2) will differ depending on the Speedlite used.
- Drive Modes
High-speed continuous shooting
- Max. approx. 8.0 fps
- The conditions are attaining the maximum continuous shooting speed are as follows:
- Shooting with a fully charged battery in One-Shot AF mode at a 1/1000 sec. or faster shutter speed and maximum aperture (depending on the lens), at room temperature (73°F/23°C), with flicker reduction, Dual Pixel RAW shooting and Digital Lens Optimizer disabled.
- In One-Shot AF mode with Image Stabilizer off when using these lenses: EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM.
- The continuous shooting speed for high-speed continuous shooting may be lower, depending on conditions such as these: battery level, temperature, flicker reduction, Dual Pixel RAW shooting, shutter speed, aperture, subject conditions, brightness, AF operation, type of lens, use of flash and shooting settings.
- The maximum continuous shooting speed may be lower when using a cold battery in cold environments or when the battery level is low, at approx. 6.0 shots/sec.
With Servo AF: Max. approx. 5.0 fps (shooting speed priority) [Silent LV shooting: Mode 1]
- With Servo AF, the maximum continuous shooting speed may become slower depending on subject conditions or the lens used. Also, the maximum continuous shooting speed will become slower when setting the [LV silent shooting] to [Disable].
Low-speed continuous shooting (Tracking priority)
- Max. approx. 3.0 fps
- With Dual Pixel RAW: Max. approx. 2.2 fps
(*High-speed continuous shooting not possible.)
Self-timer: 10 sec./remote control
Self-timer: 2 sec./remote control
Live View Functions
- Shooting ModesStill photo shooting and video shootingFocusing
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- Magnified view possible by approx. 5x or 10x for manual focusing (not possible during movie shooting).
Center-weighted average metering
- Metering brightness range: EV -1 – 20 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)
AF point-linked evaluative metering
- For face detection with Face detection + Tracking AF.
Metering RangeEV -4 – 18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100, One-Shot AF, with 29.97 fps)Grid DisplayOff
- File Format
- Video: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
- Variable (averaged) bit rate
ALL-I: Linear PCM*
*4K All-I recording requires an SD Memory card with a minimum write speed of 60MB/s.
- FocusingDual Pixel CMOS AF
- Manual focus
RangeFull range (0 to 255)Exposure ControlShutter Speed
- ISO Speed (Recommended Exposure Index)Exposure Compensation±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- TypeTFT color, liquid-crystal monitorMonitor Size3.15-inch (screen aspect ratio of 3:2)
- 3.15 in./8.01cm diagonal (2.63 in./6.67cm width, 1.75 in./4.44cm height)PixelsApprox. 2.10 million dotsCoverageApprox. 100% vertically/horizontallyBrightness ControlManually adjustable to one of seven brightness levelsCoating
Clear View LCD II
- Anti-smudge coating provided.
- Anti-reflection coating not provided.
Interface Languages29 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Ukraine, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Vietnamese, Hindi, Romanian, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Malay, Indonesian, Japanese)
- Display Format
Single image display
No information display
Basic information display
Detailed shooting information display
- Detailed information
- Lens/Histogram information
- White balance information
- Picture Style information 1
- Picture Style information 2
- Color space/Noise reduction information
- Lens aberration correction information 1
- Lens aberration correction information 2
- Record of sent images
- GPS information
- IPTC information
Display selection is available for Basic information display and Shooting information display.
- 4-image index
- 9-image index
- 36-image index
- 100-image index
Highlight AlertThe white areas with no image data will blink.
Image Protection & Erase
- ProtectionSingle image (select image)
- Select range
- All images in folder
- All images on card
- Image browsing and image search can be based on ratings.
- Ratings-based image selections also possible with DPP.
All found images (only during image search)
Except protected images
- Select images to erase
- Select range
- All images in folder
- All images on card
- All found images (only during image search)
- Compatible PrintersImages can be sent via Wi-Fi® to a PictBridge-compatible (Wireless LAN) printer and printed.
- Digital Print Order FormatCompliant to DPOF Version 1.1
- Customizable Buttons
Still Photo Shooting
- Shutter button
- Movie button
- Multi-function button
- LCD panel illumination button
- MODE button
- AF-ON button
- AE lock button
- AF point selection button
- Lens AF stop button
- Up key (cross keys)
- Left key
- Right key
- Down key
- SET button
LCD panel illumination button
AE lock button
AF point selection button
Lens AF stop button
Up key (cross keys)
- Customizable DialsMain dial
- Wuick control dial
- Control ringCustomizable Buttons
Functions that Can be Assigned (Shooting)
- ISO speed
- White balance
- Check focus/Display info.
- Movie shooting
- Flexible-priority AE
- User customization
Functions that Can be Assigned (Playback)
- USB TerminalEquivalent to SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1 Gen 1)
For PC communication
For WFT-E7 (Ver. 2) connection
- Shared with terminal for in-camera charging with the USB Power Adapter PD-E1.
- In-camera charging: although it is compatible with USB Type-C (5V/1.5A) equivalent, do not charge the camera other than with the USB Power Adapter PD-E1.
Video Out Terminal
Type C (Resolution switches automatically) / CEC not compatible
- Images can be displayed through the HDMI output and on screen at the same time.
- Images will not be displayed unless [NTSC] or [PAL] is properly set according to the video system of the TV set.
Extension System Terminal3.5mm diameter stereo mini jack
Battery Pack LP-E6N (or LP-E6) x 1
- With the AC Adapter + DC Coupler, AC power is possible.
- When the Battery Grip BG-E22 is used, two battery packs (LP-E6N or LP-E6) can be installed.
- With the USB Power Adapter PD-E1, in-camera charging of LP-E6N is possible but LP-E6 cannot be charged. The USB Power Adapter PD-E1 is not compatible with powering the camera.
Battery CheckAutomatic battery check when the power switch is turned ON.
- Displayed in 6 levels.Battery level displayed on the LCD panel and in the viewfinder.
One of six levels displayed for LP-E6N and LP-E6.
The display for other power sources is different.
- Power SavingPower turns off after the set time of non-operation elapses.Display off
Available time options
- : 15 sec. / 30 sec. / 1 min. / 3 min. / 5 min. / 10 min. / 30 min.
Auto power off
Available time options: 30 sec. / 1 min. / 3 min. / 5 min. / 10 min.
Available time options: 1 min. / 3 min. / Disable
At least approx. 6 min. until auto power off while the [Date/Time/Zone] screen is displayed.
- Date/Time BatteryBuilt-in secondary battery
When fully-charged, the date/time can be maintained for approx. 3 months.Recharge time: approx. 8 hrs.
The recharge time required to provide the above number of months with no battery pack installed.
- Start-up TimeApprox. 0.9 sec.
Based on CIPA standards.
- Operating Environment
Working Temperature Range
- 32-104° F / 0-40° C
85° or less
- Dimensions (W x H x D)Approx. 135.8 x 98.3 x 84.4 mm (5.35 x 3.87 x 3.32″)
- Approx. 135.8 x 98.3 x 67.7 mm (5.35 x 3.87 x 2.67″)
* From grip to monitor
- WeightApprox. 660 g (1.46 lbs)
Including battery, SD memory card; without body capApprox. 580 g (1.28 lbs)
Body only; without battery, card or body cap